Here are some important questions to consider before selecting a contractor.
- Does your contractor have a place of business? Make sure he/she does not work out of their car/garage/apartment/house. Here Today. Gone Tomorrow.
- Does your contractor have credit with material suppliers?
- Does your contractor ask for money upfront to purchase materials?
- Is your contractor a member of the Better Business Bureau?
- Is your roofing contractor certified with the State Association?
- Does your contractor give you a choice of shingle brand?
- Does your contractor have a roofing crew leader and superintendent to oversee your roofing installation?
TIPS ON HOW TO CHOOSE A ROOFING CONTRACTOR
Roofing advice from the National Roofing Contractors Association
- Insist on the use of quality materials and service after the sale.
- Don't assume the lowest bid is always the best deal.
- Make sure you read and understand all financing and contractual terms.
- Check references and the reputation of the contractor.
- What does the warranty from the contractor really cover?
- Does the contractor have a permanent place of business?
- Verify the contractor's number of years in business and time in the community.
- Is the contractor a member of roofing organizations and the Better Business Bureau?
- Choose a company committed to the safety and education of its workers.